Financial Aid

The University has a strong financial aid program to help the student meet the costs of a Judson education. Funds may be awarded in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, and earnings from work study employment. Not all forms of award are available to all students. To apply for financial aid, the student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Through this form, they are applying for federal, state, and university aid. For more detailed information concerning the university's financial aid program, contact the Financial Aid Office at 847-628-2530 for a brochure.

Federally Funded

To be eligible for federal aid, the student must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), demonstrate need, be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, be in compliance with selective service regulations, not be in default on a student loan nor owe a refund on a federal or state grant, be enrolled at least half-time for their program per semester and be making academic progress toward a degree. Disbursement of excess financial aid, including Title IV funding is applied as credit on a student's account and can be refunded to the student a minimum of 15 days after the semester start date, provided financial aid is posted on account to effect a credit after charges are paid in full.

State Funded

Illinois Student Assistance Commission grants are awarded to eligible Illinois residents. Application for these grants is made through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and must be submitted prior to ISAC's suspension date. Requirements are the same as those for federal funds. The Department of Rehabilitation Services (DORS) provides assistance for students with special needs. Application must be made to the DORS office.

Judson Funded

Judson's scholarship and grant funds are maintained by organizations and individuals interested in helping students attain a university education. Grants vary in amount and are based on need as computed by the federal formula. Scholarships are based on merit and awarded for academic achievement, leadership, talent in the arts, or athletic ability. A student must be full time in their program to be eligible for Judson funded scholarships and grants.

Judson funded scholarships are only available to students in undergraduate traditional programs.

Privately Funded Scholarships

These scholarships are funded through the generosity of various individuals or organizations who support Judson University. Some of these scholarships have endowments as their fund source, while others are funded through annual donations. For a full listing, contact the Financial Aid Office.

These scholarships are only available to students in the undergraduate traditional programs.


Students who are eligible for Veteran's Administration benefits should apply at their VA offices. The Judson VA Certifying Official certifies enrollment and reports any significant change in the student's status. Probationary status jeopardizes the continuance of such benefits. Questions may be directed to the Student Accounts Office.

Any student with pending payments from U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits will not be:

  • prevented from registering,
  • assessed late payment fees,
  • required to secure additional/alternate funding, or
  • denied access to any resources that are offered to paid-in-full students.

To qualify for this provision, student receiving benefits maybe required to:

  • produce the VA's Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class,
  • provide written request to be certified, or
  • provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies (see our VA School Certifying Official for all requirements).

Employer Tuition Reimbursement

Judson University cooperates with many company-based tuition reimbursement plans. Judson will defer any portion of unpaid tuition that the student expects to be covered by their employer’s tuition benefit plan.

This policy is subject to the following conditions:

  • If employer pays upfront prior to grades, the employer payment vouchers must be submitted to the Student Accounts Office prior to payment due date. No formal deferment plan is required.
  • If employer payment will be made after course completion, the student must enroll in Judson’s ETRP plan [Employer Tuition Reimbursement Plan] for each term of charges to be deferred.
  • Payment in full for deferred tuition is due within 30 days of grade posting. No exception can be made should employer money be delayed past the 30 day due date. If a scheduled payment due student account become 30 days past due, the balance is subject to a 1.3% per month carrying charge.
  • A per term payment plan fee is charged and due upon enrollment in the approved ETRP plan.
  • A new deferment plan must be set on each billed term.

Financial Aid/Retention Policy

Financial aid may be retained as long as the student is meeting the academic standards for continuing at Judson, is making satisfactory progress toward a degree, and maintains eligibility for any specific award. Financial aid is subject to change based on a change in need as determined by the federal formula. Students who return after dismissal will be denied all aid - federal, state, and University - until they have earned a grade point average, based on at least 12 hours, of 2.00 or higher, at any accredited university. Full-time students are expected to finish their degree requirements in eight semesters; however, a maximum of 10 semesters of institutional financial aid eligibility is allowed to cover special circumstances. Details of this policy are available in the Financial Aid Office.

Refund Policy

Financial aid which has been awarded to students who withdraw or are dismissed will be returned to the proper individuals per a refund schedule which is consistent with current government regulations. This schedule is on file in the Financial Aid Office.

Annual Financial Reports

Annual financial reports of the university are available for review, on request, in the Business Affairs Office.