Students achieving a 3.55 or higher semester GPA based on 12 or more hours attempted are recognized after the end of each semester. Students with grades of I or NR are not considered for the Dean's List until their final grades are received.
Dean's List honors only apply to students in undergraduate programs. Unclassified students are not eligible for the Dean's List.
Students who transfer to Judson must maintain the minimum summary grade average both in work at Judson and in all previous University work. All undergraduate student honors for the commencement ceremony are based on GPAs for the previous semesters, as the current semester grades will not be available until after commencement. Final academic honors are conditional upon the receipt of final grades and are re-evaluated when final GPAs are calculated.
To earn honors designation at graduation, an associate graduate must complete a minimum of 45 hours of their Associate degree requirements at Judson and meet the degree grade point average (conditional upon the receipt of final grades) as listed below:
A degree grade point average is calculated using only the courses which meet the program requirements. Elective courses do not apply.
- Honors: A degree grade point average of 3.50-3.69 at Judson merits graduation with honors and is denoted by one white cord
- High Honors: A degree grade point average of 3.70-3.84 at Judson merits graduation with high honors and is denoted by one navy blue and white cord
- Highest Honors: A degree grade point average of 3.85-4.00 at Judson merits graduation with highest honors and is denoted by one navy blue, gold and white cord
To earn honors designation at graduation, a baccalaureate graduate must complete a minimum of 60 hours of their bachelor degree requirements at Judson and meet the degree grade point average (conditional upon the receipt of final grades) as listed below:
- Cum Laude: A summary grade point average of 3.50-3.69 both at Judson and in all transferred degree work merits graduation cum laude and is denoted by one gold cord
- Magna Cum Laude: A summary grade point average of 3.70-3.84 both at Judson and in all transferred degree work merits graduation magna cum laude and is denoted by two gold cords
- Summa Cum Laude: A summary grade point average of 3.85-4.00 both at Judson and in all transferred degree work merits graduation summa cum laude and is denoted by three gold cords
There are no academic honors for students in masters or doctoral programs.
The Honors Program
The Judson University Honors Program is an advanced degree plan for students enrolled in traditional undergraduate programs only.
It it designed for the outstanding student who enters Judson with a 3.3 minimum GPA and cumulative score of 28 on ACT or 1230 on SAT. Please note that both Honors and regular degrees have the same credit count and program duration. There is no extra cost for being in the Honors program.
Successful students will have their work recognized as Honors on their transcript and diploma. They may also be distinguished by Honors regalia at the commencement ceremony.
Honors students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.33 throughout their undergraduate studies at Judson. If the GPA drops below 3.33, a grace period of one semester may be allowed to bring it back up to 3.33 or better. Failure to attain the minimum GPA level even after the grace period will disqualify the student from graduating with an Honors degree. Such students will automatically be switched over to the regular degree track.
Students must complete a minimum of 12 hours of Honors coursework, including GEN101H Questions of Life: Entering the Judson Conversation - Honors (1 c.h.) and one approved Independent Research Course or its equivalent for the major discipline. Additional honors courses may be split between major and general education requirements. Students should contact the Program Director with questions about approved coursework.
Honors students must complete additional non-academic requirements in addition to the coursework listed above; contact the Program Director for details. Students not fulfilling these requirements will not be allowed to graduate with the Honors degree.
Judson is affiliated with the following honor societies:
- Alpha Sigma Lambda National Honor Society
- This program honors adult baccalaureate students who are in the top ten percent of their class, having a minimum grade point average of 3.2 in at least 30 graded credit hours
- Kappa Delta Pi International Honors Society
- This program honors students who major in Education and have achieved a minimum grade point average of 3.5 in at least 30 credits of coursework
- Pi Mu Epsilon
- This program honors Mathematic students who have had at least two years of college mathematics including calculus, who have completed their mathematical work with honor (at least B average) and who are in the top one-third of the class in general college work
- Psi Chi National Honor Society
- This program honors traditional students who major/minor in Psychology, are in the top 35 percent in general scholarship and have a minimum grade point average of 3.2 in Psychology coursework
- Tau Sigma Delta Honor Society
- This program honors Architecture and Design majors by encouraging and acknowledging academic excellence in their field, are in the top 20% of their class and have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 overall
- Theta Alpha Kappa National Honor Society
- This program honors traditional students majoring in Biblical and Theological Studies, Christian Ministries or Worship Arts who have achieved a minimum grade point average of 3.5 in at least 15 credits in Biblical and Theological Studies coursework and who maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 overall