Non-Traditional Transfer

Non-Traditional Undergraduate Transfer Policy Division of Professional Studies

Students must submit official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended to the Judson University Registrar. Students transferring courses from institutions outside of the U.S. must submit an official World Evaluation Services (WES) evaluation.

Grades for transfer courses are calculated in the summary GPA, and are used for determining qualification for graduation with honors.

Courses with a grade of P (pass) or S (satisfactory) will not transfer. The transfer of courses that are vocational or technical will apply only as elective credit. A vocational or technical course may be transferred if it meets the rigor and requirements of courses offered at Judson University. Remedial courses (those below 100-level) will not transfer.

Grades for transfer courses are calculated in the summary GPA for determining qualification for graduation with honors, class rank, the honors programs, and athletic eligibility.

If CLEP/DSST tests were taken at another college and/or university and the student wishes to receive credit, the student must request that an official score report be sent to the Registrar's Office for evaluation. CLEP/DSST credits will not be transferred to Judson University from other colleges and/or university transcripts as each institution has different standards for awarding credit for CLEP/DSST testing. Additional information regarding CLEP/DSST tests can be found in the Alternative Credit section of the catalog.

Associate of Arts Policy

A maximum of 15 semester hours may transfer (or be tested out of) for the Associate program at Judson. Any remaining transfer coursework may be applied as electives towards a Bachelor’s degree.

Required Judson Courses

The following courses may not transfer into the AA program:

LDB105Foundations of Adult Learning3
GEN103Faith and Learning I3
GEN104Faith and Learning II2
GEN105Survey of the Bible3
GEN126Foundation of the Spiritual Life3
ENG225Literature of Spirituality3
ESS154Wellness For Life2

Bachelor of Arts Policy

Students who have graduated from Judson's Associate of Arts program, and transfer students who have completed an Associate of Arts or Science and/or a Bachelor’s degree prior to matriculation from a currently regionally accredited college or university with a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher will be deemed to have completed all General Education course requirements for graduation. Applied Associate degrees will not fulfill the general education course requirements.

Transfer coursework may be applied toward the total credits required for graduation in the non-traditional bachelor's programs, as well as general education courses. No major courses in the Division of Professional Studies may be transferred.

Advanced Transfer Approval

Students who have matriculated at Judson University must secure advanced approval from the Registrar before registering for a course at another institution by completing the Transfer Course Approval Form in MyJudson. All courses submitted for approval must meet the following criteria:

  • After earning 90 semester hours, a maximum of 10 hours may be transferred and applied to degree requirements.
  • At least 20 of the student's last 30 hours must be completed in residency.
  • Students cannot transfer any coursework during the semester they plan on graduating.
  • Major coursework must be completed at Judson.
  • The beginning and ending dates of a transfer course must fall within Judson's traditional term dates.
  • A transfer course may not be a course that is offered at Judson during the term in which the student is seeking to transfer.
  • The student must earn a grade of C- or higher to transfer a course (a minimum of C is required for English courses).

Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI)

Judson University is a participating institution in IAI. The IAI was designed to help Illinois college students transfer easily. All participating colleges and universities agreed to accept an IAI general education "package" for transfer students in place of the institution's own general education requirements. In addition to the IAI, Judson has established specific articulation agreements with several local institutions to help ensure a smooth transition for transfer students:

  • BIR Training Center
  • College Consortium
  • Computer Systems Institute
  • Elgin Community College
  • Harper College
  • Kishwaukee College
  • McHenry County College
  • Rockford Career College
  • Rock Valley College and
  • Waubonsee Community College.

Conversion Policy

Courses are offered based on the semester-hour system. Whenever students take courses at another university or college that is using the quarter-hour credit system, the following policy governs the number of credit hours that will transfer to Judson. Quarter hours convert to semester hours at the rate of 1 quarter hour = 2/3 semester hour. Divide number of quarter hours by 0.67.

  • 5 Quarter Hrs. = 3.35
  • 4 Quarter Hrs. = 2.68
  • 3 Quarter Hrs. = 2.01
  • 2 Quarter Hrs. = 1.34
  • 1 Quarter Hr. = 0.67

A course from another university or college using the quarter-hour system may be approved to fulfill a general education requirement. However, students must be aware that the conversion formula may affect the student fulfilling the required 120 degree hours for the BA degree.